Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Delpit

Format: Argument

Lisa Delpit argues that all students do not learn in the same manner. A child's background knowledge and culture plays a determining role in how the child will learn. Delpit makes it a point to mention that it is our job as teachers to adapt our teaching styles to the needs of the children we teach rather than attempt to change the homes of the student's in which we teach. We need to incorporate strategies that are appropriate for all the students in the class. We can use various methods of teaching to connect with each and every child in order for them to learn the best they can. Primarily as a teacher, it is our job to teach. In her article she mentions many situations where teachers are not teaching and are not putting in the effort to teach and the students are suffering because of it. If they are not learning, they can feel as if they are not able to learn and become disinterested in school.

As I mentioned culture is a huge factor in a child's learning ability. I like how Delpit mentions Shirley Brice Heath's verbal quotes from Ways with Words regarding the differences among the way people communicate. The style of communication we use in the classroom could be misinterpreted by students based on what they are used to at home. It is important that we are directive in the way we speak but are taking a step back and thinking about how what we are saying is coming across to the students.

Teachers must be able to teach all of the students in the class. It is important that we listen to students, parents and other teachers in order to truly benefit all children.

2 comments:

  1. This is my second attempt at this post...I typed an entire response and when I went back to check it, it wasn't here. So, here we go again.

    Lauren, I completely agree with your first paragraph. I think it is so important for teachers to realize that we must adapt our teaching styles to meet the needs of our students, rather than trying to change the homes from which they come from. It is so important and necessary to understand where a child comes from, what their homelife is all about. We have no power to judge a child based upon the situation in which they live. We must instead advocate for these children all the more and ensure they are given the necessary tools and resources for the most effective learning to occur. We must give them what they need to be successful both inside the classroom and out in the real world.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As educators we need all of our children to be successful, not the majority of them. I think that you hit this point in your first paragraph and I cannot agree with you more.

    ReplyDelete